The UK Government has announced the temporary adjustments to the right to work check introduced on 30 March 2020, due to COVID-19, are ending.
For further information please click on the following link to the UK Government website: Coronavirus (COVID-19): right to work checks – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
To summarise from 17 May 2021 you must either:
• You do not need to carry out retrospective checks on those who had a COVID-19 adjusted check between 30 March 2020 and 16 May 2021 (inclusive).
• This reflects the length of time the adjusted checks have been in place and supports business during this difficult time.
• You will maintain a defence against a civil penalty if the check you have undertaken during this period was done in the prescribed manner or as set out in the COVID-19 adjusted checks guidance as set out in the COVID-19 adjusted checks on gov.uk at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-right-to-work-checks
Reminder – when conducting a right to work check during the temporary COVID-19:
• Ask the worker to submit a scanned copy or a photo of their original documents electronically
• Arrange a video call with the worker – ask them to hold up the original documents to the camera and check them against the digital copy of the documents
• Record the date you made the check and mark it as “adjusted check undertaken on [insert date] due to COVID-19”
All employers retain responsibility of right to work checks in the UK and this cannot be outsourced to any third parties and incurs a hefty fine from the government if not carried out correctly.
As a screening company we support our clients by providing Document Algorithm Validation which complements your internal right to work checks by validating the MRZ codes on the passport, BRP and identity cards to ensure they are genuine.
If you would like to know more information about our Identity Checks please give us a call on 0203 1500 775.